With the foundation of Buss Shipping in 2009, the Buss Group was able to expand their business areas by establishing their own ship owner's company in the container sector. Since then, the service spectrum continually grew: Not only the ships' management services were consistently expanded, the company also implemented a number of conversion and new build projects, and got successfully involved in the used vessel trade. In doing so, the company was able to make use of their tight-knit industry contacts with first-grade shipyards, charterers, ship financing banks and financial investors.
Since its establishment in 1903 Leonhardt & Blumberg has managed more than 180 vessels, which were in the past mostly general cargo vessels and bulk carriers. With a focus on containerships ranging from about 1.500 to 3.600 TEU capacity the company is the biggest, independent supplier in the Handysize segment.
- Commercial ships' management, incl. chartering and operations
- Financial management, controlling, ship accounting and reporting
- Technical and nautical ships' management
- Auditing of ships pursuant to international regulations and an internal quality management program (ISM, ISPS, MLC)
- Technical procurement based on a structured maintenance concept
- New build project development and construction supervision
- Project management for the technical retrofitting and modification of existing ships
Leonhardt & Blumberg Facts and Figures
- Established: 2017 (Establishment Leonhardt & Blumberg: 1903, establishment Buss Shipping: 2009)
- Ships in rotation: more than 40 container vessels
In July 2017 Leonhardt & Blumberg Shipmanagement joined the Hanseatic Unity Chartering (HU) GmbH & Co. KG, which ever since took over the charter of the vessels. Hanseatic Unity manages a fleet of more than 150 containerships (700 - 9.400 TEU). In the area of tramp shipping of smaller and medium containerships Hanseatic Unity is the second biggest charterer worldwide. Next to freighting the company acts as a broker for purchase and sales transactions. Hanseatic Unity Chartering (HUC) is the joint chartering and marketing platform for the container fleet of Asiatic & Atlantic Lloyd, Borealis Maritime, Leonhardt & Blumberg and Reederei NORD.
Hanseatic Unity Chartering Facts and Figures
- Established: 2013
- Chartered vessels: about 150 container vessels
Buss already joined up with shipowners Aug. Bolten in 1971, and to this day holds 37% of the shares. The maritime shipping company is chiefly active in the areas of ships' management and the chartering of bulk vessels.
- Commercial and technical ships' management
- Crew manning of ocean-going vessels
- Chartering (Handysize Bulker Pool)
Aug. Bolten in numbers
- Established: 1801
- Managed vessels: 35 (incl. new orders)